As the name suggests a pre shave oil is an oil that is applied to the face before the application of any shaving soap, shaving cream or shaving gel before you start to shave.
Most leading pre shave oils contain natural oils, which are low on the grease factor, such as coconut, sunflower, olive or other oils drawn from plants may be considered the best oils to use. Such oils will not clog the skin pores. Grape seed oil, safflower oil, vitamin A and E, and castor oil can be suspended in a lush base of sweet almond oil and peanut oil. The oils are carefully blended to ensure the effectiveness of their properties and the richness of their aromas.
There are many reasons to use a pre shave oil, some of which are listed below:
1. Intended as a base and applied before lathering, pre-shave oil will provide a high degree of protection from the razor especially for those with ultra-sensitive skin.
2. Shaving oils lubricate and moisturise your face providing the perfect base for a close comfortable shave, thus resulting in a pain-free shave with no razor burn, rashes or dry, blotchy skin.
3. It also leaves your face conditioned and moisturised.
4. It will soften facial hair leading to a comfortable shave.
5. Pre Shave Oil massaged into the beard bristles will lift the bristles up for a smoother cut, as well as creating a sleek surface for the blade to glide over.
Put a few drops in the palm of your hand and then gently rub both palms together for a few seconds before massaging the oil into the beard bristles, massage into the beard for at least 30 seconds.
Then, let the oil ‘work’ for at least another 30 seconds before applying your shaving lather. Use this minute to wash the oil from your hands. For the ultimate shave, follow the other shaving information found on this site.
Recommended Pre Shave Oil
The Executive Shaving Company Pre Shave Oil is our best selling pre shave treatment by some distance. It is water based so it will not clog up your razor, it will not damage your brush and it will not leave an oily scum mark in the sink. It also smells amazing and many users mention they use our pre shave oil instead of shaving cream / soap on their second and third passes with their razor such are the cushioning and lubrication powers of this premium product. Read more and buy here.
To view our range of Pre Shave Oils and other pre shave treatments click here.